Sunday, September 10, 2006

They're stealing our Mitzvos!

JTA currently features an article about the Havurah Movement. It's the sort of article where we meet people who are "at the forefront of a religious revolution." One of them, Ben Murane, wears tzitzis:
Some of the young men and women this summer sported tzitzit but not necessarily kippas, exhibiting a fluidity of ritual dress that deliberately flouts convention.
Tzitzit but not necessarily kipas! How fluid! What fluidity! I'm sorry, I really should not sneer at this stuff. Wearing tzitzit is a beautiful thing. I mean it. I am wearing tzitzis while typing this. I am also sacrificing fluidity by wearing a kippa.
"I put them on a year and a half ago as a political protest, against the right and the left," Murane says of the tzitzit. He´s critiquing Orthodox Jews who claim ownership of the ritual as well as his colleagues on the political left who disdain it.
Not only is that ritual Orthodox-owned, but I happen to be the Frum Yid who owns it. I want my ritual back!!!
"These young people see no conflict between their traditionalism and their activism," Green says. "They talk about poverty and preserving the environment using the language of halachic obligation."
"The language of halachic obligation"? Like, we're chayiv to end poverty? Must . . . stop . . .

No comments: