Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Brussels Journal under attack

Blogging can get one in trouble in places like Iran, and also, apparently, in Belgium. Paul Belien writes:
This morning the police came to my door again to question me about allegedly racist articles on The Brussels Journal. I was not in. Tonight the local police phoned to “invite” me urgently to the police station. In Belgium any leftist or totalitarianist can lodge a complaint against “internet racism” through a Belgian government website and the judiciary starts an investigation. Apparently someone in Ghent has lodged a complaint against this website. I am not allowed to know who this person is, but I am requested to come to the police station to be interrogated. I told the officer that I refuse to justify my writings for anonymous complaints. “I am not living in the Soviet Union,” I told him (though I fear I am).
Bussels Journal is an exemplary blog. I hope enough other bloggers call attention to this to generate a public outcry.

No comments: