Sunday, December 11, 2005

The Shuffle Meme

I seem to have been tagged by Romach. The idea is to set one's iPod on shuffle and note what comes up. I don't own an iPod, and I don't own any secular music anymore. All my vinyl is gone, and the Jewish music CD's around the house were all purchased by my wife and kids. I do have a list of the 500 greatest rock/pop/soul/blues songs that I compiled once upon a time. So here is what I did: I used a random number generator to pick 15. Then I took the stack of Jewish CD's sitting next to my wife's CD player, chose some songs from them that I actually remembered from the titles, mixed them into the list, and deleted enough secular songs to keep the number 15. Here is what I came up with:

1. dust my broom/elmore james
2. i can't stand it/velvet underground
3. chop 'em down/matisyahu
4. sunny afternoon/kinks
5. dime-a-dance romance/steve miller band
6. mayim rabim/lanzbom and solomon
7. get me back on time, engine number 9/wilson picket
8. bereishit/moshav band
9. no particular place to go/chuck berry
10. tracht good/8th day
11. take the skinheads bowling/camper van beethoven
12. the maggid's niggun/simply tsfat
13. stuck inside of mobile with the memphis blues again/dylan
14. ohio jig/soulfarm
15. help me/sonny boy williamson

I have not heard some of the secular songs for 15 years, but I can actually imagine all of these on the same playlist. If I had gone into my kid's CD's, then the results would be totally bizarre: Elmore James followed by Shloimie Dachs!

No comments: