This whole business with Chas Freeman reminds me of what I call the "self-fulfilling conspiracy theory." To illustrate:
1. Fred is alarmed that civilization is about to crumble at the hands of the nefarious Council on Foreign Relations.
2. He distributes leaflets at his place of employment alerting his co-workers to the danger.
3. His boss reads one of the leaflets and is alarmed to discover that his employee Fred is a nut.
4. Fred is fired.
5. Fred's worst suspicions are confirmed. His ex-Boss is part of the conspiracy!
6. Fred gets feverishly to work revising his leaflets.